Muskogee Co I.T.
McIntosh Co I.T.
Wagoner Co I.T.
Marion Co AR
Washington Co NC
The Broken Arrow Ledger
Broken Arrow, Indian Territory
Vol 3, No 41
January 25, 1906 (Page 6)
Abstracted / Transcribed byLinda Haas Davenport
When the print is so faded that it cannot be read <.....> will be used . All transcription will be as found in the paper, misspellings and all
This is a special edition - promoting Broken Arrow & celebrating its 3-year anniversary. The issue is full of detailed information about (and photos of) local businessmen, and photos of businesses and residences.
Page 6, Column 1
[Photo spanning columns 1 & 2 - First State Bank]
FIRST STATE BANK.
In July, 1903, this bank changed owners and the board was composed of the following persons: C. B. Hill, president; J. W. S. Bower, vice president; W. P. Fraker, cashier, and E. B. Baxter and L. D. Marr, members. With the change in stockholders came also a change in capital stock, this being changed in May, 1904, from $10,000 to $25,000, and also being fully paid.
As time passed along It became apparent to the stockholders that a new and more modern home was a necessity. Accordingly in the autumn of 1904 the old building was moved from its foundation and a contract awarded for the erection of the handsome two-story brick, an exterior view of which we take great pleasure in presenting herewith. The real estate, furniture and fixtures at this time are valued at $11,000 and include, in addition to every other up-to-date appliances, a modern screw door Mosler fire and burglar-proof safe.
The board of directors for 1905 consisted of Len Laws, president; J. W. S. Bower, vice president; W. P. Fraker, cashier; C. B. Hill and Dr. J. N. Shippey, members.
The management of this institution, which is so valuable to the community, has always been conservative and careful, and this accounts in a large measure for its signal success and for its strong standing in the community and among other institutions of its kind.
Page 6, Column 1
WARNER POWELL FRAKER.
Given birth there, and surrounded during the years of his early manhood by the rocks and cliffs and forests, and the gurgling ripple of the crystal waters, flowing unceasingly on toward the mighty Atlantic, Mr. Fraker drank deep of the picturesque and rugged scenery, and the rough exterior which is all the passing stranger notes, hides well from the glance of the casual acquaintance a heart and soul filled as full of deep-seated human sympathy as ever were given to mortal man.
After assisting with the work on the old home farm until he reached the age of twenty he decided to seek a field in which he thought greater possibilities were afforded the strong and willing worker into which he had developed. Accordingly he turned his face toward the setting sun, nor did he pause until be reached the little village of Kellogg, Ia., where he secured employment as a farm hand, at which vocation he continued until the first quarter of a century had passed in his life.
At the age of 25 he began farming for himself and continued at that business fourteen years adding to the business of farming, that of stock raising, and was deservedly successful throughout, and accumulated a neat little competency for his pains.
In the spring of 1899 he disposed of his farming interests and once again
Page 6, column 2
turned his face toward the west and toward a new country. Locating at the Rock Island and near the boundary line which divides Indian Territory from Oklahoma, he engaged in the mercantile business, which he conducted until the spring of 1903, when be again disposed of his holdings and
[Photo: W P Franker]
this time moved eastward, landing in Tulsa in March of that year, and in July of the same year he again changed locations, moving then to Broken Arrow, where he purchased stock in the First State Bank and immediately entered upon the duties of cashier of this well-known and substantial institution to which position he was elected by the board of directors.
During the brief period of time elapsing since then he has continued in this responsible position, and, largely through his tireless energy, and the judicious executive ability which he brought the institution, the capital stock has been more than doubled, has all been fully paid, and is at a remarkably strong premium at this time, and the old one thousand dollar building in which the bank was first established has given place to a modern two story brick which, with the latest fixtures obtainable represents a value of $11,000.
Page 6, Column 3
BRUMBAUGH & WAHL.
The writer does not hazard anything in saying that Mr. Brumbaugh, having availed himself of the benefits of the long and varied experience of his former partner, Mr. Galbreath, who preceded him here several years, and having so fully posted himself in all that pertains to real estate here of all kinds-that owing to these facts there is not a man in this section of the Creek country who is in better position than Mr. Brumbaugh is to aid an intending purchaser in finding just what he wants, finding it quickly, and in securing for him good, safe title to the same.
Mr. G. H. Wahl, the junior member of this concern, came to the southwest some ten years ago from Illinois. In Oklahoma city Mr. Wahl had nine years of successful experience in the real estate business, coming to Broken Arrow in December, 1904. Having just formed the co-partnership with Mr. Brumbaugh, they are sure to take rank as one of the leading real estate agencies in this southwest country.
Both of these gentlemen, standing well in the community, honorable and high-minded, a homeseeker will find it pleasing to do business with Brumbaugh & Wahl.
Any correspondence making inquiries about real estate of any kind will be cheerfully and promptly answered by these wide-awake and reliable real estate dealers. Their offices are located in the building of the Arkansas Valley National Bank.
Page 6, Column 4
[Photo spanning columns 4 & 5 - Jameson & Baxter's Elevator]
ARKANSAS VALLEY TOWNSITE CO.
Page 6, Column 5
JAMESON & BAXTER.
During 1905 the capacity was increased by the erection of an addition and today they have one of the most complete elevators to be found in the territory. In addition to their elevator they installed a grinder and make an exceptionally fine quality of meal, as well as to grind all kinds of chop feeds.
[Photo spanning columns 4 & 5 - L H Borum & Co]
L H. BORUM & CO.
Mr. L. H. Borum, the manager, is originally from Brownsville, Tenn., coming here directly from Paris in that state, where he had recently resided. With extensive experience along mercantile lines, Mr. Borum
Page 6, Column 5
brings to the service of this new and extensive house, business ability of a high order and a genial personality that is sure to win for the establishment that share of the trade to which merit and honest endeavor are so justly entitled.
Mr. John Moore, also formerly of Paris, Tenn., and lately here for some time with the well-known house of Lancaster, McAnally, Sanders Co., is a popular salesman in this house.
Mr. Sam Mosby, a capitalist, and well and favorably known business man of Memphis, Tenn., is a partner. Having erected their handsome structure, according to plans both modern and tasteful, and finished the interior with marked elegance and located centrally on the west side of North Main street, next door to the postoffice, there is every reason to look for this excellent house to take very high rank in the commercial history of this rapidly growing city.
[Photo spanning Columns 4 & 5 - Residence of F S Hurd, Cashier First National Bank]
Return to Broken Arrow Ledger Index
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport